Former President of Ireland
• Former President of Ireland (1990-1997);
• United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (1997-2002);
• Professor of penal legislation, constitutional and criminal law, and the law of evidence at Trinity College;
• Irish Centre for European Law at Trinity College, Co-founder (1988); and
• United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (1997-2002).
AWARDS, BOARD MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS:
• Ethical Globalization Initiative (EGI), Founder;
• Oxfam International, Honorary President;
• Council of Women World Leaders, founding member and Chair;
• Vaccine Fund, Board Member;
• Royal Irish Academy, Member; and
• American Philosophical Society, Member.
• Trinity College in Dublin (M.A., and LL.B, 1967).