Former South African Environment Minister and former President of the IUCN
• Former South African Environment Minister and former President of the IUCN;
• World Conservation Union, President;
• South Africa's former Minister of Environmental Affairs and Tourism (1999-2004);
• Minister of Provincial Affairs and Constitutional Affairs (1994-1999); and
• Responsible for securing South Africa’s interest in a number of multilateral environmental agreements including the Kyoto Protocol on Climate Change, the Conventions on Biological Diversity and that on Desertification, the Bio-safety Protocol regulating the International Trade in Genetically Modified Organisms, the Basel Convention on the International Transport of Hazardous Waste and the International Agreement on the Conservation of Albatrosses and Petrels.
AWARDS, BOARD MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS:
• United Democratic Front, Executive Member; and
• National Executive Committee (NEC) of the African National Congress (ANC), Member.
University of Durban Westville, (BSc degree in Mathematics and Physics, 1978).